Scrap.Abode (warehouse) OPEN DAYs

The Scrap.Abode is only OPEN every Wednesday (10:00am to 1:00pm) every month for walk-ins.

Please follow our Instagram and Facebook account and subscribe to our Newsletters for the latest news, flash sales and more.

Enjoy 50% off selected items from Scrap-n-Crop.com RED DOT SALE when you visit us on our Open Days | please email us 24 hours prior to the Open Day if you'd like to self collect your online orders at the Scrap.Abode

Monday, June 17, 2013

Kill Your Monday Blues with Hils Hints: Stamping 101 - Transforming Embellishments

.

Embossing powder is a great way to transform embellishments quickly and easily, helping you to give your old and no-longer-loved embellishments a new lease of life.  It also enables you to change them to match your current project.

As an example, I have used an old metal brad that has been in my stash collection for years.  As you can see, in its original state it was a rough, silver-ish metal, ideal perhaps for manly layouts but not much else.

I decided it would work much better as a centre for a big flower, and so changed it to a gorgeous iridescent pink colour.  For more interest, you could also stamp onto the brad using Staz-on ink.

The process was easy – I took the brad by its two prongs, and pressed it gently onto my Versamark ink pad.  Versamark is the best ink pad for this, as it is slightly stickier than other ink pads.  Once I was sure it was covered with ink, including the sides, I dabbed it into my embossing powder and gently shook the excess off. 

I then heated it with my heat gun until the powder had melted.  The result wasn’t quite as strong as I had hoped, so while it was still hot, I dabbed it into my embossing powder once again, shook it gently and then melted it again to get a perfectly smooth and even finish.


.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
HINTS!!! {hot tips}
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Invest in a pair of plastic, but heat proof, tongs (I use a pair meant for cooking with).  
Use them to hold your brad or other embellishments while heating them, otherwise you will end up with burnt fingers!  You may want to continue to hold the brad for a minute or two while it cools down, to ensure the molten powder doesn’t smudge off onto something else.
.
.

No comments:

Share This Post

Related Posts with Thumbnails